360 Gist Pilot: CPS accused of failing domestic violence victims after Nigerian woman loses her eye in attack

Tuesday 31 January 2017

CPS accused of failing domestic violence victims after Nigerian woman loses her eye in attack



According to the Guardian, one woman became permanently blind in one eye after her violent fiance criticised Crown Prosecution Service,CPS, U.K, because her case was initially dropped despite “overwhelming evidence” of the cause of her injuries.

The victim, Akorede Odutayo was being punched repeatedly in the face by her lover when she stained his clothes with icing after presenting him with a birthday cake.

According to Police from the London borough that worked on the case, they said that it is just one in a string of domestic abuse offences they had to appeal against to get through the courts after the CPS initially declined to press charges.

The suspect, Ibrahim Akanbi was found guilty of grievous bodily harm on his partner, on December 2016, at Woolwich crown court in London, he was sentenced to three years in prison.

The suspect would have escaped conviction if the police had not appealed against a decision by the CPS last year March.

Currently,Odutayo, 23 years old, has a two-year-old son with Akanbi, has decided to speak out because she was worried other victims are not getting the justice that they deserve.

She said: “I feel I was completely failed by the CPS. If the police hadn’t appealed he could have got away with it despite the blatant evidence.”

Odutayo narrated that she endured a “painful waiting game” to see her ex husband brought to justice after the attack on 11 January 2015, Akanbi’s birthday.

“He started chucking things at me and headbutted me, cutting his head on my tooth. He then started punching me repeatedly until my face went numb. My eye was full of blood."

Doctors told Odutayo that they were unable to save the sight in her eye.

She said: “I’ve lost my eye and then I find out they weren’t even going to charge him. He was out there going on holiday and enjoying his life while I was going through hell.”

No comments:

Post a Comment